Saturday, October 04, 2008

A Mine By Any Other Name



 I spend a lot of time at different mines in my job.  Mostly gold mines in Nevada but also silver mines up here in North Idaho.  I find the names of the mines to be interesting.  A good one is Midas a gold mine near Winnemuca, great name for a gold mine, the Midas touch.  Others down there are Rosebud, Jerritt Canyon, McCoy Rawhide, Barrick, Rain, Turquoise Ridge, Steer, Gold Strike, Getchell and Aurora.
 Up here the Silver mines are Lucky Friday, Crescent, Star, Bunker Hill, The Galena and The Sunshine Mine.  The Sunshine is probably the least well named of the bunch.  Seventy six miners died there in the late 70's during a mine fire.  If I ever get to name a mine I will call it the Clair Bear and let people wonder what the hell that is all about.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

did you erase my comment?

Anonymous said...

No, I don't do that

dry fly said...

I got a good laugh out of
Clair Bear