Saturday, March 26, 2005

TV Land

Got the big screen tv fixed. It gave out last fall just right after I finished paying for the damn thing. It wouldn't turn on, or it would for a second and go off. I took the back off of it and vacuumed it out, after that it worked for awhile. Then about last November it quit for good. I was working in California all winter so fixing it wasn't quite the priority it would have been had I needed it for my own viewing pleasure. When I was home on weekends I tried to find somebody to fix it, but no one was really interested. The "factory authorized dealer" in Spokane told me on the phone 500 bucks minimum to fix it, so did another repair shop and I had to bring it in, which is no small task. I was about to give up and buy another one as the repair cost was so much, but I tried one more number and got hold of a guy who said he would come out and yes he could fix it. So the dude shows up and he is late fifties, quiet type has a brief case full of tools and gets busy. Tries a few things, still doesn't work. So he yanks the guts out of it and takes it with him. Next day he calls says it is fixed, comes out puts it together and hallelujah mama we are back in business. He said he found a spot where it would arc across a diode and overload the power supply and trigger a protective shutdown. At least that is the short version of what I think he said. It was detailed analysis filled with some big words that frankly went over my head and I kind of glazed over and sat there nodding my head thinking about watching Baywatch on a 50 inch screen. Charged me a hundred bucks, a great old nerd that can fix anything and reasonable. A rare find indeed.

No comments: