Friday, October 12, 2007

Neuvo Laredo II

continued:

So I wandered up the street in Mexico and was attracting a lot of attention. Finally a young guy jumps in front of me and wants to know what I'm looking for. Women? Weed? Coke? Fireworks? What? I tell him no each time and he holds out his hands and says, what are you doing here? That's a good question, I'm starting to wonder myself. I go on by and walk up a couple more blocks stopping once to give a little girl some money, she was begging for her mother who was sitting on the sidewalk. I don't see anything worth stopping for and finally turn around and head back down the other side of the street. The little girl hits me up again and when I tease her about already giving her some money she smiles so cute that I give her a few more dollars.
Then the guy that stopped me before spots me and runs over, okay he says, what are you looking for. Nothing I say just looking around. Come on he says, I have women, massages, heroin, pain pills - he notices my hesitation at that one. I just drove 2300 miles I do have some pain. But I have no prescription senor. No problemo we see doctor, 10 dollars. Follow me.
So off me and my new amigo Marcos go, off the main street, past dark seedy shops, people in the shadows watching, he points to a few places - dentist, lawyer, pharmacy - all open at 11:00 at night. Just as I'm starting to think I'm being led into the barrio to be robbed and killed for fun we come to a small alley. Very dark, very narrow, not a place you would ever walk down. So we walk down it and come to a door and by this time I am starting to kind of get a fatalistic kick out of the whole thing and I don't hesitate to walk right in.
It is here in a small room with a bare light bulb hanging over a beat up metal desk that I meet Dr. Jose Antonio Cerra Quintero a real humanitarian. Dr. Quinn turns out to be a taciturn fellow wearing a ballcap that says Hurley on it. Marcos converses with him in Spanish and I start to tell him about my arthritic hip and lower back pain and so forth. Turns out that even if he could speak English he doesn't give a rip. I am offered a chair and handed a menu like I have walked into a cafe. I puruse the list of medicines carefully, pretty much anything you can think of was there and plenty I have never heard of. Like all good menus the price was also clearly marked, quite frankly I felt the prices were steep considering where I was. I felt obligated to buy something, that is only good manners I suppose. I finally settle on 10 percodans for 20 bucks. Cash please, plus ten for the Doc and five dollar tip for good old Marcos. I produce the bills and another cat comes in (Segundo).
After some agitated conversation Marcos informs me that they don't have any on hand but that Segundo can go get some but will need to take the cash. Sure fine, as long as this is all on the up and up what can go wrong. So we wait, me and Marcos joke around for a bit but the conversation lags and Doc Quin just sits there staring straight ahead. I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that my forty bucks is gone but what the hell it had entertainment value. But Segundo comes back and he has the medication. It is packaged professionaly and they tell me that I can take it across the border with the prescription I've been given as long as the package is not opened. Somehow I doubt this..........

to be continued.

No comments: