Friday, March 23, 2007

10 Days


My 10 days off is going by much faster than the days in Tonkin Springs Hellvada. I will be heading back for at least one more hitch there. Hopefully it will be the last, I told them I wasn't a fan of the camp there. When I was packing to leave for the first time mom was up here, she came for a visit and to see Bryant in the play 'The Importance of Being Earnest' Bry was awesome as a snooty Englishman. The play was good and I saw the first two nights but had to miss the third night to pack. I wasn't sure what I needed for 20 days of work and didn't know if I could do laundry or where I was going for that matter. So I packed more clothes than I needed and left stuff that I should have taken, learning curve the first time. After the play was over I had everything laid out on my bed and was starting to pack it up. Mom came in and sat down and started making pithy comments that were not helpful. I was going away for a long time and was stressed out a bit. She came up with one liners like 'Don't you wish you had got your college degree?' or "I bet you wish you hadn't quit your propane job" Another gem was "Well maybe you can loose some weight" She offered this advice " Look at this as a grand adventure" Oh it was an adventure all right just not a grand one.
When I was working the 12 hour night shift there I would sometimes drive a water truck up on top of a mountain there where I would dump loads of water into some tailing ponds. It took about an hour for it to drain out and I would shut off the truck and lay on my back on top of the tank and look at the stars. The night sky was incredible, no moon, clear as a bell. I haven't seen the stars like that for a long time. Orion was prominent in the night sky and I was able to pick out many constellations, it was very peaceful and the cool nights of the high Nevada deserts were quite beautiful. On that shift I saw the sunset and the sunrise. It was tough at times and by the 7th night I got kinda tired, hit the wall so to speak. But I survived it, me and Orion.

1 comment:

fredbear said...

Thats a good one