Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Ode To Brewster




We have come to the end of an era. The shaggy old pony in Midway has gone to the big pasture in the sky. He will be missed by an entire generation of Larsen grandchildren who grew up with Brewster pulling them around Midway in the pony cart. He lived to a ripe old age estimated at maybe 32 years, 20 of them in the pasture of Grandpa Larsen. I named Brewster many years ago soon after dad acquired him, mom wanted to name him Midnight but one look at him and I came up with Brewster, it fit. He wasn't pretty or majestic, just a rough little pony that liked to founder himself every spring. He had it pretty good munching the green grass in the Heber Valley and only occasional being hooked up to the cart where he willingly (more of less ) gave rides all over the area. One day he didn't have the strength to stand anymore, Adalee gave him one more apple and thanked him for the rides at her birthday parties. And he was put down. It reminds me of the time when I was very young and I asked Grandpa Chugg if he thought that there were horses in heaven. He looked at me and said "If there not I don't want to be there." Goodbye Brewster, of all the horses we have had, your definitely one of them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said. Im going to miss that little horse. He really was around a long time. I rode him when I was just and kid and my boy's got to meet him.

Anonymous said...

I remember the pasture was known as "Brewsters Place" Kind of makes you think, you know?

CJ's Rant said...

No I dont know. what did it make you think of?